42 December 2004
— Highlights —
of the month
The New Jersey Historic Trust has awarded $132 million in grants to 329 preservation projects over the last four years. They just announced a new round of grants for repair and stabilization for 85 sites, including twenty-some historic churches. That's a good enough excuse to focus on several of those buildings, particularly ones that have not been featured here before.
The Old Manahawkin Baptist Church in Stafford Township, Ocean County, has been beautifully maintained as the town's Community Center. It is a meetinghouse which combines elements from several styles—a Greek Revival pediment, Italianate brackets in the cornice, and a little railing around the lower tier of the belfry that comes directly from the Georgian idiom.
In 1780 the Fairton Presbyterian Church was erected—unusual because there was very little construction of any kind in a state devastated by fighting armies and Tory-Patriot raids. It is a symmetrical two-story stone building with nicely proportioned windows, obviously influenced by builders familiar with the Georgian style, although one would hesitate to describe it as Georgian because of its simplicity. It is still used for occasional services, but the congregation long since moved into a larger church. Somewhere there is an account that British soldiers appropriated the building materials that had been assembled for the church, and the congregation was obliged to delay construction until they could collect more stone and timber. The building is surrounded by an extensive cemetery and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Cumberland County.
The proper name of this odd church is Saint James Chapel, but it is widely known as the Church of the Presidents because seven Presidents, beginning with Grant, attended services there at one time. The church was erected in 1869 and was designed by the New York firm of Potter and Robertson, and is on the National Register. In spite of that, it has been allowed to deteriorate seriously. It's a pretty strange mixture of styles, but interesting.
St. Peter the Apostle Roman Catholic Church in New Brunswick was organized in 1829, a time when Catholics did not yet have full political and religious rights in the state. The cornerstone for the church was laid in 1856, but the building was not completed until 1865. It sits across the street from Rutgers University and its fine Gothic tower is visible from much of downtown. Patrick Keeley, an Irish immigrant who became the foremost designer of Catholic churches in this country, was the architect. He designed several other Catholic churches in Jersey City, Newark, Mt Holly, Washington, and Hoboken, and about 600 more throughout the country. Keeley credited Richard Upjohn, a major factor in the Gothic Revival style in this country for his inspiration.
There are two large Methodist churches in Salem, the newest of which is the Broadway Methodist Church, organized in 1850 and built in 1858. It is prominently located on Salem's main thoroughfare, almost across from the courthouse, which befitted the Methodist's status in 1858 as the largest denomination in the state. The pediment is unusually heavy—a fashion at that time, with substantial brackets and supported by pilasters with accentuated capitols. This was a very upscale design, and was certainly influenced by St. George's, an important Methodist church in Philadelphia.
have no information about the First Presbyterian Church in Rumson, but
photographed it last winter because of its rambling late Victorian
style. The porte cochère on the right served to announce to passersby
that this was a church whose members were accustomed to arriving in
carriages. The religious architecture of the last half of the nineteenth
century is much richer because of the social messages it was able to
convey about the taste and status of its members through its scale, its
location, the materials used in its construction, as well as its architectural
If the website looks a bit different on your screen this month it is because it has been optimized for Mozilla's Firefox browser instead of Internet Explorer. Firefox is superior in compliance to web standards, usability, performance, and is not nearly as susceptible to security problems. I have urged all my friends and relatives to make the switch. Firefox is an opensource program, which means it is free. You can download it at www.mozilla.com. EWeek Magazine calls it "the best standalone browser available today and generations ahead of Microsoft's Internet Explorer."