The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Willow Grove Methodist Episcopal Church
Willow Grove, Pittsgrove Township, Salem County

There is a record of the Salem Circuit of the Methodist Church showing a $5.75 contribution from the Fork Bridge Class in 1802; additional contributions followed twice later in the year, which provides some evidence that Methodists were meeting regularly at what eventually became known as Willow Grove. Fork Bridge became Fork Mills when a new grist mill was established, and later, as a few houses were built there, a community, often called a grove, was located; and thence to the name Willow Grove. That name first appears as changed from Fork Mills in the circuit records for 1853. This congregation and the one in Woodruff became the new Willow Grove Circuit in that year. The original meetinghouse was probably built about 1824, then a larger one erected in 1858. That was destroyed by fire in 1880.
Within months of the fire the present building was erected, mostly or entirely by members of the church—farmers and millwrights. It is a three-bay frame building with a vaulted ceiling made from 21 foot, 6"x 8" rough-cut red oak timbers locked in place by long iron bolts and oak pins. The window and door surrounds are original and quite characteristic of the period. The corner pilasters are identical to those on the Union Grove Methodist church, erected 11 years earlier. The window over the entrance is a nice touch, as is the paneling beneath the oculus.


 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2002 Frank L. Greenagel