authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
First Presbyterian Church of Whippany
Hanover Township, Morris County
This fine early wood frame building, the second on the site, was erected
in 1834. Its form can be compared to the Presbyterian churches in Chatham
and Rockaway. The congregation
was organized in 1710 according to some records, but the historical
record is a bit confusing.
Hanover Township, which then included
Whippany and Parsippany, was settled before 1700, most certainly by
Puritans from Newark, Elizabeth and New England. The first church, erected
in the region, a Presbyterian one, was in Whippany in 1718, and 40 years
later the congregation decided to abandon that building and erect two
new churches, one on this site in Hanover and the other on the old burying
ground in Parsippany. They subsequently disbanded the congregation in
Parsippany and sold the building to the Reformed congregation in Boonton,
then in the 1850s, organized anew and build a new church.