The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

West Portal Methodist Episcopal Church
Bethlehem Township, Hunterdon County

The church was founded in 1849, built 1849 and remodeled in 1876, which is, presumably when the stained glass windows were added.
      A private home near the West End Iron Mines, located here, was one of the preaching places on the Asbury Circuit. West Portal was also known as West End and Bethlehem. The West Portal churches is one of the smallest in Hunterdon county, but nicely maintained. Except for the stained glass windows, it might be mistaken for a one-room schoolhouse.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel