The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Weert’s Corner New School Baptist Church
East Amwell Township, Hunterdon County



At a meeting in 1834 a group composed in part of members from the Amwell Baptist church in Flemington resolved to erect a building to be known as the “Baptist meetinghouse at Weert’s Corner.” Land for the church and burial ground was donated and the building was completed that year. Curiosly, there were two other Baptist congregation nearby, but one was a German Baptist (Dunker) congregation and the other, in Hopewell, an Old School church; apparently the Baptists were notable, even then, for splitting on the basis of doctrinal disputes.
     Note the oculus window above the front entry, the modified lancet windows and the neoclassical trim on the roofline in this building,unusual in a backwater hamlet.

The building is now a private residence.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel