The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church
Washington, Warren County



St Joseph's was organized in 1871, probably by the Catholic church in Phillipsburg, which had been organized about 10 years earlier. This building was erected on Belvidere Avenue the following year.
     It is a rather interesting building: the four rectangular windows in the gable over the front entrance are unusual, and there is a clerestory—a row of windows along the nave above the aisles—quite uncommon except in the grander churches. The architect was Patrick Keeley, who did many other churches in the state and was the most important Catholic architect on the eastern seaboard for several decades.
     It now houses Catholic Charities, while its successor church sits a few blocks away.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2003 Frank L. Greenagel