authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to
it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions
from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Union Hill, Denville Township, Morris County
L-shape design of this chapel, erected in 1896, was a
common one after the middle of the nineteenth century. It is not an unsophisticated
building, however; the slight flair to the roof of the tower, as well as the
placement of the tower, stairway and entrance show that a seasoned architect-builder
was at work.
The building played an important role in the Union
Hill community, serving for a time as both school, church and community center.
It is now surrounded by trees
and other buildings, but early photos show a considerable prominence, probably
visible for miles. The Presbyterian congregation was organized in 1816.