The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

First Methodist Church
Trenton, Mercer County



This congregation, founded in 1772, is one of the oldest in the state. There have been several mergers and renaming of congregations before this large structure was erected in 1894.
      George Whitefield (prominent in the Great Awakening) preached in Trent-town in 1739, but no Methodist class (congregation) was organized until 1771-1772. A 30 x 35 foot frame building was erected in 1773 at the corner of what is now Academy and Broadway.
      There are many Romanesque Revival elements here, including the oversized arched entrance, the rusticated stone, and the series of small windows above the entrance. The large illuminated cross at the top of the tower is a much later desecration. It is now known as the First United Methodist church.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel