The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Fairmount Presbyterian Church
Tewksbury Township, Hunterdon County

In 1746, a log building served as the first church for this congregation, then called the Fox Hill church, as it did for most congregations in the colonies. It was replaced in 1760 on the same site by a second church, which was in turn replaced by a stone church in 1816. In 1851, that structure was replaced by the present stone church, which was remodeled in 1902. The original congregation was German Reformed, and services were conducted in German. In 1809, morning services were conducted in English and afternoon services in German. It affiliated with the Presbyterian Church in 1813. The main part of the building is clearly Greek Revival, but the later addition of the tower and entrance have somewhat obscured that style.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel