authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Church (Old Swedes)
Swedesboro, Gloucester County
Old Swedes was begun as a Swedish Lutheran church, but was soon ceded
to the Episcopal Church when it was clear that Sweden would not be able
to supply a minister for the small Swedish community that remained after
the initial organization in 1704.
Old Swedes was designed by its minister,
who had spent time in London learning English before his posting to
America, so it is not surprising to see this Wren-Gibbs plan in south
Jersey. The detailing of the doors and windows is very finemuch
more elaborate than other churches of its age in the state. The entrance
on the long side is not found in many churches in the state—Cohansey
Baptist, Old Tennent, Bridgeton, and the nearby Moravian meetinghouse
are the only ones that come to mind (other than the Quaker meetinghouses,
was erected in 1784 and is on the National Register.