authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
near Swedesboro, Gloucester County
The Moravian church was built in 1786, almost forty years after it
was organized. It is a trim symmetrical brick building, with minimal
decorative elements, and two front doors on the long side, in the manner
of the Quaker meetinghouses.
After the Moravians left the area (as
they did in a much larger settlement in Hope), the church was occupied for a
Methodists, but they were evicted (rowdyness and debauchery was the excuse, it
Church in 1836. It is now owned by the Gloucester County Historical
Society and is on the National Register.