The authoritative source
early churches of New Jersey
click here to
the book from
created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to
it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions
from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
to related sites
Swartswood, Sussex County
Presbyterian congregation in the area dates to 1833 when a small
frame church was erected a bit north of Swartswood. That was known
as the Second Presbyterian Church of Stillwater, and served until
about 1850 when it as abandoned. The Swartswood church was organized
in 1854 and another small frame building (this one, but without the
several additions and modifications) was erected. Upon the death
of the founding minister in 1890, the congregation was dissolved.
A second floor was added to the building, and that
became home of the Swartswood Grange; about 1945, it was sold to a Catholic
church, and then in 1980, it was sold again, this time to be used as a residence.