The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Succusanna Methodist Episcopal Church
Succusanna, Roxbury Township, Morris County

Founded as the Janes Chapel in 1850 (in honor of Methodist Bishop Janes), the building was erected in 1852. The Greek Revival lines of the pediment and corner pilasters are clearly evidence; those features and the tall rectangular windows are common features found in Methodist churches throughout the state. The were taken from an important Methodist church in Philadelphia, St. George's. An additional chapel was constructed in 1891.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2004 Frank L. Greenagel