The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

First Presbyterian Church
Succussana, Morris County

 

Founded in 1768, the original meetinghouse served for a time as an arsenal and hospital for the Continental Army in 1776. Its name was the First Presbyterian Meetinghouse at Suckasunny Plains. This wooden frame meetinghouse was erected in 18--. The entry porch is a later addition, but in other respects, the church appears to be basically unaltered since then.
     Next door is the Eliza Stoddard Memorial Chapel, erected in 1888, which now serves as the church offices.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2002 Frank L. Greenagel