authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Berean Baptist Church
Stockton, Hunterdon County
The church was founded by a number of members of the Sandy Ridge Baptist
church who felt a need to have a house of worship in Stockton. The building
was started in 1859 and dedicated in 1861. It was built of stone and
plastered to look like granite. The metal-clad steeple is a later modification;
the original one was taller (108 feet) and more ornate. The architect
was a Mr. Graham of Trenton, and Joseph Butterfoss of Stockton was the
master builder. It was sold to a Methodist congregation in the last
few years and is now the Wesley Chapel.