authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
click on the cover to order
book from Amazon.com
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
First Presbyterian Church
Stillwater, Stillwater Township, Sussex County
is a delight to see a well-maintained early 19th century wooden building
like this one. The First Presbyterian church was organized
in 1769 and this church was erected in 1838. The windows have Gothic
arches, with great Gothic-arch shutters, but the pediment and pilasters
are taken from the Greek Revival idiom. The open belfry, from a later
period, completes the picture.
German Lutheran and Calvinist (presumably
German Reformed, but possibly Presbyterian) settlers combined to form
occurrence in that era. In 1769 it was known as the Luther Congregation
of Hardwick. A stone building was erected in 1771, which served the
congregation until 1837, when it was pulled down. In the meantime, the
congregation affiliated with the Presbyterian church, perhaps in 1816.