Spruce Run Lutheran Church
Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County
The congregation was organized in 1774 or 1775 and services, conducted
every four weeks, were exclusively in German for many years. The first
church was built in 1800 and the second, of stone, in 1835, as a Union
church, combining Reformed and Lutheran congregations. This building
was erected in 1870.
According to a local historian, "There was a Lutheran church
organized here long before the first building was erected. The record
dates back beyond 1775, when people came six or seven miles to worship
in Frederick Fritts barn on Sunday; and the same distance to dance on
weekdays, the deacon sometimes being the fiddler.
The church is surrounded by modern housing developments, but for generations
stood apart from any village or hamlet.