authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Andrew's Methodist Episcopal Church
was started as a community Sunday School for Protestant
families in 1880, and the congregation was formally organized
as a church in 1887. That same year they erected this shingled
frame building. The builder was Herman Reichwein. In an 1888
postcard it has a porte-cochere. The building is unconventional, with
its long nave and row of clerestory windows poking through
the steeply-pitched roof. The bell tower, with its crenelations and
blind window was a 1911 addition. An additional entry is
through a vestibule attached to the nave, which was the location
porte-cochere. The building without the bell tower is remarkably similar
to All Saints [Episcopal] church in Lakewood, built in 1884.
Ellis published his History two years before this was built, but he
notes (799-802) two Methodist churches, including an Independent Protestant
Methodist congregation formed in 1842, which later merged with the
main Methodist congregation in town.