The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Shrewsbury Friends
Shrewsbury, Monmouth County

    

Set on a large tract at the major crossroads in Shrewsbury, across the road from Christ Church and the First Presbyterian Church, one might conclude that among Shrewsbury's earliest settlers were the Quakers. They organized in 1672, and this meetinghouse was built in 1816. In design it is very similar to the meetinghouses of south Jersey, although this, and the ones in Manasquan and Plainfield, were shingled frame buildings instead of brick. It has the traditional arrangement of two entrances with pent roofs, a gallery inside and split seating for men and women.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel