Scotch Plains Baptist meetinghouse
Scotch Plains, Union County
Grand Street & Union Avenue
founded 1817, built 1817
The meetinghouses now hosts the local "Y" and it has a Greek Revival portico that was added probably in the 1850s when that style was especially popular. Originally, it was a basic meetinghouse not much different than the Presbyterian church in Plainfield although not quite as large.
The building originally stood where the present Baptist church is, but was moved in 1870 when that building was erected. It was used as a school and since 1911 as the "Y."