The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

     About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than three-fourths of the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it more or less each month. We welcome and solicit all corrections, contributions and suggestions from our visitors.


St. John's Chapel


Salem, Salem County
Market Street
built 1883

A small stone chapel stands just to the left of St. John's, now connected by a cloister. Like the church, it is in the Gothic style, with a steeply-pitched roof, narrow lancet windows and exposed trusswork in the porch. Most Episcopal churches specified regular coursed ashlar construction instead of the random stone here, which is consistent with the main church.
At one time, a cross affixed to the top of the gable would have been considered too "popish," even for a high church Episcopal congregation, but by this period, even some mainline Protestant churches display such crosses.
     The chapel stands on the site of the original Episcopal church in Salem, which was razed in order to erect this building.