The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

St. George's on-the-Hill Episcopal Church
Rumson, Monmouth County

St. George’s church originally stood at the corner of Bellevue Avenue and Ridge Road, but was moved to its present location when the new church was built in 1914. It stood unused for a number of years until donated to a school and adapted for that use in 1926. Although its has been modified for educational use, most of the exterior features remain. Like most of the upscale churches erected along the shore in the 1870’s, this was founded by mostly New Yorkers who were socially prominent in business and the professions, and whose summer homes were increasingly built along
the Navesink River. Several alternate locations were proposed, but the gift of a lot at Bellevue and Ridge Road determined the issue. The congregation has since erected a much larger church at the eastern end of the point.
It is a fine example of a small Gothic church, a style favored by the Episcopal church since 1845. The steeply-pitched roof, the narrow lancet windows, uncoursed rusticated stone, buttresses, and an articulated chancel are sure indicators of a nineteenthcentury Episcopal church in this state. The architect was Alfred J. Bloor of New York. He was an officer in the Americn Institute of Architects and wrote extensively on architecture—he is much
better known for his publications than his buildings. Henry Wilson was the builder.
     Incidentally, its successor, St. George’s-by-the-River, is on the National Register of Historic Places.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2009 Frank L. Greenagel