The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Ringoes Lecture Hall
Ringoes, East Amwell Township, Hunterdon County

A portion of the Amwell Presbyterian congregation residing in Ringoes attempted on several occasions to get a new church erected in their town, about a mile away from the Larison's Corner location where the old (present) church stands. They were rebuffed, but about 1848-1850 they built this wood frame lecture hall as a convenient place to meet and to hold Sunday School classes. In 1866 the group split off from the Amwell church to organize the Ringoes Kirkpatrick Memorial Presbyterian church, and used this hall for services until their new Gothic building was erected next door, two years later. The building is now used as a Sunday School.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel