The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Amwell First English Presbyterian Church at Reaville
Reaville, Raritan Township, Hunterdon County

 

Unless you have a detailed map, Reaville won't easily be found, as it is little more than a crossroads southeast of Flemington. But this congregation, organized in 1738, hosted a gathering of some 7,000 people to hear Reverend George Whitefield, perhaps the foremost preacher of the Second Great Revival. That open air meeting was among the similar revival meetings that led to a split in the Presbyterian church between the "Old Lights" (the more traditional branch) and the "New Lights," who wanted an oral confession or testimony before admission to full membership. The wood frame building was erected in 1838, (some say rebuilt from the original church) and remodeled in 1883.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel