authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Readington Reformed Church
Readington Township, Hunterdon County
church was founded about 1718 and this building erected in 1865.
This grand structure is the successor to the little log church in
Branch, about three miles away, and as such, it is one of the earliest
congregations in Hunterdon County. The deed for the land, sitting
in Readington Village just across from Holland Brook, is dated 1738
and the record
shows that Reverend Frelinghuysen, who was instrumental in the start
of the Great Awakening, preached here on October 7, 1739 and
continued through his death in 1750. The second church, a two-story
frame building with long narrow windows reaching to the roof, served
95 years, until 1833, when it was replaced by a second frame church,
which burned in 1864. The congregation resolved to rebuild immediately
and specified a 56 by 76 foot plan with a spire starting from
ground and extend in front of the building."
The building is sheathed in aluminum siding now,
but otherwise remain much as it was when it was built.