A few years ago the Rahway Spanish church purchased the Second Presbyterian church, which they had been renting for more than 20 years. The building is located in downtown Rahway across from the city hall complex. The sanctuary has a seating capacity of 600 and also has a large pipe organ that is fully functional. There are several other chapels and meetings rooms as well as a large kitchen and fellowship hall.
Second Presbyterian Church
Rahway, Union County
Main Street & West Emerson
founded 1849, built ca.1865
The red brick building is a common plan for Protestant churches built in the middle decades of the nineteenth century—a projecting tower, round-arch openings for entrances and windows, usually a blind arcade along the raking cornice—anything to show others that this was a Protestant church, not Episcopal or Catholic. The tall upper tier of the tower has been lopped off, and the cupola or steeple disappeared long ago. The round-arch windows and blind arcades are elements from the Romanesque idiom.
The Presbyterian congregation began, like many others, as a Sunday school in 1833.