The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

First Methodist Episcopal Church of Quinton
Quinton, Salem County



Quinton's Methodist congregation was organized in 1867 although meetings had been held in private homes prior to that date. Their original church building had been purchased from the Pentonville congregation and re-erected in Quinton; it served until 1883, when this brick building was erected. The silhouette is sufficient to see that it is in the Gothic mode. A side view of the church would have shown the clerestory—a row of windows above what would be articulated aisles in an Episcopal or Catholic church; that feature is unusual in a small, Protestant church. The main entrance is set well-back from the front of the building through the side of the tower—also an unusual element. This is not simply a large vernacular building—there was an architect involved. The profile of nave-and-aisles and clerestory windows mark it as an unusually sophisticated design.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel