The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Quakertown Friends Meetinghouse
Quakertown, Hunterdon County

 

Although William Penn owned most of the land in what is now Hunterdon County, only a single Quaker meetinghouse ever was built in the county. Franklin Township was the center of the Quaker settlers, and Quakertown the core of that center. The early records are missing, but it appears there was a recognized Friends meeting in the area by 1720. This stone meetinghouse was built in 1862 on the site of the original building, and incorporates much of the stone from that meetinghouse. For many years the Quakers held no services here and the building was used as a school and a Boy Scouts center, but recently regular services have been held

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel