authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
Links to related sites
Princeton, Mercer County
Founded in 1833 and built in 1868. The architect was Richard M. Upjohn,
son of Richard Upjohn, who, as much as anyone, popularized the Gothic
Revival in this country, and the interior, especially the crossing,
is strongly reminiscent of the father's St. Mary's church in Burlington.
This Episcopal building employs both Gothic and Romanesque Revival
which was characteristic of the younger Upjohn's work.
There is an even older stone chapel or
Sunday School to the east of the church. The church replaced an impressive
Greek Revival building on the site. Ralph Cram, another important American
architect, was engaged in the major renovation in 1914-15.