authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Second Presbyterian Church
Princeton, Mercer County
Founded in 1847 and built in 1868. The architect/builder was Henry Leard,
whose name pops up in relation to several churches in the area. The
church sits on Nassau Street, almost directly across from the Nassau
Street Presbyterian Church, which was the first Presbyterian church
in Princeton. It became St. Andrew's church for a while, and is now
owned by another non-denominational congregation.
It is a rather nice building and its location
prompts the question, Why another Presbyterian church so close to the
first one? A dramatic increase in membership resulted in a similar situation