authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Protestant Union Chapel
Pomona, Galloway Township, Atlantic County
This small chapel was organized in 1890 to serve several denominations,
probably Methodist, Baptist and Presbyterian. It appears to have been
erected shortly after the congregation organized. Union churches were
relatively common in the 19th century, when no denomination had enough
members to afford a regular minister.
Located on White Horse Pike, it was once
known as the "farmer's church," because it was attended by
the areas many farmers. It presently has no congregation, but meets
three times a year. The church has a nine member board of trustees,
dedicated to making certain the church exists as a testimony for future
generations. The farmland surrounding the church is zoned commercial,
and on the market (as of May 2002).