authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Consult the database
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Saint Philip and Saint James Catholic Church
Phillipsburg, Warren County
red brick building was built in 1873; it succeeds an older Catholic
church in this industrial city on the Delaware. The
church, designed by architect Patrick Keely, was built in 1860
at the same site. The "new" church
was built around the old in stages, starting from the apse end; the
tower wasn't completed until 1911. Before that people worshiped at
Saint Bernard's Church (1829) "across the river" in Easton,
PA. Many towns have an abundance of churches, but Phillipsburg has
few, and this is much the largest.