The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Simpson Methodist Episcopal Church
Perth Amboy, Middlesex County

   

Organized in 1856, the Methodists built this church of brick in 1866, although the building was not completed until 1881. The architect was Charles Graham. It is one of the relatively few churches in the state to house a clock in its tower. Notice the strong similarity in design between this building and the Reformed church in Annandale.
     Graham was also responsible for the fine Presbyterian churches in Newton and Blairstown, which are rather similar to this building.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel