The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

     About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than three-fourths of the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it more or less each month. We welcome and solicit all corrections, contributions and suggestions from our visitors.


Hudson Methodist Episcopal Church


Pedricktown, Salem County
Railroad Avenue
founded 1802, built 1860

The first Methodist Church in Oldmans was formed in Perkintown in a log house. In the early 1800s, a frame church building was built at that site, then in 1832 a brick church was erected where services were held until 1884. The nearby village of Auburn became an important town for commerce and a church was built there in 1842. As the population grew in Pedricktown, the need for a place to worship became evident. The Methodists began meeting in the old school house. In 1860, as the need for a Methodist church grew, one was built at 29 North Railroad Avenue The new church was called Hudson Methodist Episcopal Church, in honor of its first pastor. The cornerstone was laid in1860. Hudson Church remained on a circuit with five other churches. In 1864 the circuit was divided and Hudson became a part of a circuit with Auburn, Center Square and Perkintown; later the Hudson church was part of a circuit with the Haines Neck Church. Stanger says the congregation was originally on the Bridgeport Circuit, but gives no date for the building except to note that a side addition was erected in 1888-91 for use as a Sunday school. Jaquett repeats Stanger, word-for-word.