The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Paterson, PassaicCounty

St. Paul's, erected in 1895, is a massive structure; it huge stone blocks and few windows make it seem more of a fortress than a church. Certainly there is nothing here of the lightness of Gothic architecture that had previously dominated Episcopal building. The architect was William Halsey Wood, who is best known in the state for his design for Newark's Peddie memorial Baptist church. Indeed, this building has much in common with that, especially in the squat massive columns found on the front of the building. From a distance, the building is dominated by its tall Norman tower but this view from the rear masks that impression. The church is located on Broadway a few blocks east of J. Cleveland Cady's fine Presbyterian church; the visitor can thus see, in a couple of blocks, two excellent examples from two of the state's leading late-nineteenth century architects.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2006 Frank L. Greenagel