Methodist Episcopal Church of Palmyra
Palmyra, Burlington County
Fifth & Garfield Streets
founded c.1840, built 1892
The Methodist church in Palmyra takes up most of the block in this prominent location a little ways from the heart of town. The congregation got its start about 1840 that met in members homes, typical for many early congregations. The found a building for Sunday school use soon thereafter, and in 1853 formally organized. The following year they erected a substantial brick church on Broad street that is now the Borough Hall.
In 1892, the congregation decided that the church needed to move its location due to frequent interruptions by trains traveling by. It was after that move that the congregation changed the name to Epworth Methodist Episcopal Church. There is a large stone Sunday school annex that was built in 1915.