The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Second Presbyterian Church
[Brick Church] Orange, Essex County

The original church was erected in 1832 and this large Romanesque Revival building in 1878. The area became known as Brick Church and the congregation is now the Brick Presbyterian church. This is the account of the founding of the First and Second Presbyterian churches from the New Jersey Hiostorical Society:

The Orange First Presbyterian Church was formed in 1719 under the name, The Church at Newark Mountains, since Orange was a part of Newark at the time. As residents who belonged to the First Presbyterian Church in Newark moved to the mountains west of the city, it became apparent that another Presbyterian church would need to be built. In 1748, the Church at Newark Mountains became a Presbyterian congregation, and adopted a new name, The Second Presbyterian Church of Newark. Eventually, this settlement separated from the town of Newark; the new municipality was given the name of Orange. Consequently, the church changed its name in 1811 to the Orange First Presbyterian Church. In 1832, since most members of the First Presbyterian Church had relocated to more distant parts of Orange, it again became necessary to form a new Presbyterian congregation. As a result, the Second Presbyterian Church of Orange was formed in 1832.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel