The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Grace [Episcopal] Church
Orange, Essex County


Now known as the Church of the Epiphany, this 1857 stone Gothic Revival building was consecrated by Bishop George Washington Doane, who even as he did so, undoubtedly convinced the vestry that the church did not conform to proper Ecclesiology principles. A few years later, they modified it to make sure that it did.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel