The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Chapel of St. Michael the Archangel
Orange, Essex County



In 1896 a Catholic chapel for the Italians of Orange was built on Matthew Street at Frankfort in what was then known as "little Italy." The chapel was used as a mission of the Italian Church in Newark, and was dedicated on Christmas Day, 1897 to St. Michael the Archangel. This chapel was in constant use until 1902, when a larger church (which has since been demolished and replaced by an even larger church in the 1930s) was built on South Center Street and named Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. Due to financial difficulties, the larger church closed (temporarily) in 1912 and the abandoned Chapel of St. Michael was repaired and reopened as a mission of the Church of Mt. Carmel. Masses and services took place in both structures until about 1926, when the Chapel of St. Michael was given to the Figli d'Italia (Sons of Italy). It is now occupied by the First Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel