The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Oldwick Methodist Episcopal Church
Tewksbury Township, Hunterdon County

 

Early Methodists met in fields, barns and homes. In 1882-3 they bought land in New Germantown (Oldwick) and built a Wesleyan Chapel, a dissenting breakaway from the Methodist Episcopal Church. They soon outgrew that building and sold it to the Methodists in Califon, who dismantled the church and moved it to a site along the South Branch of the Raritan. At some point the congregation reaffiliated with the mainstream Methodist church and built a new building in 1865.
      This church is similar in scale and design to the Methodist churches in Fairmont, Quakerstown, and Whitehouse, the Reformed churches in Pottersville and Annandale, and the Presbyterian church in Milford, all of which were built within a few years of each other. It is likely, based on the high degree of similarity, that the architect of all was Major Aaron Hudson of Mendham, although the basic design can certainly be traced to the Presbyterian Church in Westfield, erected in 1861.
     In 2002 the building was sold and now houses an antique shop.


 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel