authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Zion Lutheran Church
Oldwick, Tewksbury Township, Hunterdon County
The oldest Lutheran church in the state, this stucco-over-stone building
was erected in 1749. The congregation was formed in 1714 by a few German
families moving west from the Millstone Valley in Somerset County. The
church has been much altered in the last 250 years; the roof was originally
hipped and the door was on the long side. There would have been no Gothic
windows then, and of course, no Greek Revival details or Victorian belfry.
The history of the church, along with its original charter, is well-documented.
This church was the responsibility of Reverend Muhlenberg, whose son
became a General In Washington's army.