The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Oceanport Methodist Episcopal Church
Oceanport, Monmouth County

Oceanport is at the head of navigation for the Shrewsbury River and in the first decades of the nineteenth century it was the depot for the charcoal made in Monmouth County that was shipped to New York. In 1843 it was the port for a regular steamship run to New York. The coming of the railroad in 1861 resulted in a declining commercial activity, contrary to most towns in the region. Nevertheless, the Methodists organized by 1868 and erected this church in that year.
     The steeply-pitched roof and the Gothic-arch windows testify to the popular taste of the period. The belfry and steeple are later additions, as is the large modern entry vestibule. From old Photographs it appears that this was originally just a small woodenframe church, similar to a half-dozen others in the county.

 

 

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2005 Frank L. Greenagel