authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church
large church occupies an entire city block in Ocean Grove, just
a few hundred yards from the Great Auditorium. The original church
was a large structure when it was bullt in 1884-85, and it has
been enlarged twice since then. The clerestory appears to be part
of the original, and perhaps the Gothic-arch windows and buttresses
along the nave are as well. The main entrance is now on
the north side, so it was certainly moved from the gable end, which
was probably on the east end of the building. A Sunday School
was added in 1908 and another substantial addition in 1959.
The congregation’s inital church, erected in 1876 was sold to
Neptune Township for use as a school. The lot for the current church
was donated by the Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association.