The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Bishop Janes Memorial Tabernacle
Ocean Grove, Monmouth County

There are a handful of churches across the state named after Bishop Janes, who was a mid-century leader of the Methodist church. This enclosed octagonal pavilion or tabernacle is an unusual building, but there is a somewhat similar one in Mt. Tabor, another Methodist camp, in Morris County. In the Spring of 1877 construction of a wooden building was
begun about 100 feet to the west and a little south of the huge tent
when the big meetings were held. It was originally designed as a simple frame, with a permanent roof—a form which side curtains could be dropped for protection from sun and rain. As the construction progressed, however, the advisability of making it a permanent structure was seen and the building was completed in its present form in time for the opening of the 1877 season. The entire cost together with all interior equipment, was $2,362.85. Railing have since been constructed about the windows of the
tabernacle and changes have been made to the roof to improve ventilation. The building, known to many as the ‘powerhouse of the Camp Meeting,’ because of its round generator-like shape, is capable of seating about 1,000 persons. Like the Great Auditorium, which it stands next to, the tabernacle
reflects the substantial change in liturgy and style of worship that happened in the evangelical Protestant churches (Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, Congregational) over the course of the nineteenth century. This 60’ x 80’ building was designed around performance and participation, whereas early Methodist churches were designed to give emphasis to the sermon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2009 Frank L. Greenagel