The authoritative source
early churches of New Jersey
click here to
the book from
created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to
it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions
from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
to related sites
Newton, Sussex County
Anglican congregation was organized in 1769
and a charter was granted by George III in 1774, when Sussex was still part of
Hunterdon County. The church was organized and subsidized by the Society for
the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts (SPG) until the Revolutionary
War, when most of the Anglican clergy (who had to support the British) closed
their churches and fled the state. Initial services were held in the old courthouse
until the first church was built in 1823.
This building, the second on the site, was begun
in 1868 and dedicated a little over a year later, on the hundredth anniversary
of the church. It is built of
blue limestone and cost about $30,000. The fancy ironwork hinges and the coursed,
rusticated stone are characteristic of Episcopal churches, and the building follows
standard Episcopal precepts—an east-oriented altar, articulated chancel
and aisles, south entrance, as well as the Gothic windows and substantial buttresses.
The interior is magnificent. There was once a very tall steeple which fell victim
to lightning in 1929.
See Merrit Ierley, An Inheritance of the faithful: A 225th Anniversary History
of Christ Episcopal Church. Newton: Christ Episcopal Church, 1993.