The earliest Methodist preachers in south Jersey may have arrived by
1769, but it was not until 1788 that a regular circuit (Salem) was
established. The following year provides the first evidence of a Methodist
class in the area of Newport-Dividing Creek. Other classes in the Cumberland
part of the circuit included Roadston, Deerfield, Woodruff, and Port
Elizabeth. Eventually there was a Cumberland circuit that included
Mauricetown, Leesburg, and Millville, as well as Newport. So Newport
was an early preaching station, but there is no evidence of any meetinghouse
and even that is somewhat ambiguous. In 1852 the evidence is solid
that the congregation erected a new meetinghouse although they shared
a minister with the church in Dividing Creek until 1885.
In 1901 that building was “rebuilt” which involved removal
of the galleries, installation of a sloping floor, addition of a chapel,
and bell tower. It had a seating capacity of 260.
information was taken from Reverend Howard Cassaday’s
booklet, The History of Methodism in Newport, N.J. (1989).