authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Evangelical and Reformed German Church
Newark, Essex County
Located at the end of Ferry Street in the Ironbound section of Newark
is the church that's been known for years as St. Stephan's United Church
of Christ. But it was built as a German Reformed church, designed by
George Staehlin, and it combines Catholic and Protestant traditions.
The classical pedimented door and the Romanesque window treatment, as
well as the large rose window are clearly from Catholic architectural
traditions, but the colonial-style steeple might more likely be seen
topping a Presbyterian or Baptist church. St. Stephan was founded in
____ and erected in 1874.