The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church
Newark, Essex County

St. Joseph's now houses a collection of restaurants and professional offices, but it is listed on the National Register. It was organized in 1859, erected in 1878, and held its last Mass in 1980, when the parish had dropped to about 30 members. Jeremiah O'Rourke was the architect.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel