authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
South Baptist Church
Newark, Essex County
as the New Point Baptist church, located just off Broad Street on
the original Greek Revival outlines of the South Baptist
church remain, but "renovations" have much altered the appearance
of the building, which was erected in 1850. The architect was John
Hall ( David Gendell is also listed in the church's application for
historic status). The design is a common one in the western part of the
state—between 1839 and 1856 there was almost 20 churches built to this
design, mostly Reformed.