The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

a mission of the Second Presbyterian Church
Newark, Essex County

This old wooden building on Jay Street once housed a mission of the Second Presbyterian Church; it was organized as a Sunday School in the area in 18__. In 1891, it became known as the Few Smith Memorial church, in honor of __--. Much later, it was sold to the Pilgrim Baptist Church, whose main building is now located one block west on Hudson (you can see the steeple and roof of the newer building in the photo).
     


 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel